According to the National Safety Council, 2016 data shows approximately 40,000 people died in motor vehicle crashes last year. That was an increase of 6% from 2015. This data shows 2016 was the deadliest year on the roads since 2007. They also estimate 4.6 million people are seriously injured in accidents as well. The cost of motor vehicle deaths, injuries and property damage in 2016 was $432 billion, which is a 12% increase from 2015. This data brings to life the number of people who daily are living with pain due to a car wreck and just how burdensome having a car wreck can be in one’s life.
When a person has a vehicle accident, injuries to soft tissue, bones and the head can cause chronic pain. It is critical to have these injuries properly diagnosed. In order to restore one’s life after an accident, it is important the pain management of your recovery is managed by a pain doctor. At North Atlanta Spine and Pain Care, we specialize in managing and restoring life back to our patients after a wreck. There are several things one can do to help reduce pain after being involved in a wreck.
- Make an appointment immediately after an accident. It is normal for pain to begin several hours to days after an accident. Ensure your doctor is trained to recognize car wreck trauma and issues that come with these injuries.
- In order to reduce pain and discomfort after an accident, one can try
- Ice – Ice the affected area to reduce the swelling and pain of muscles, ligaments and tendon injuries.
- Neck or Back Brace – It is very important for items to be administered by a trained doctor. You don’t want to stiffen while restoring regular movement.
- Medication – Anti-inflammatories, muscle relaxants, and painkillers can help in aiding an accident victim. These medications should be monitored by a pain management doctor.
- Chiropractic Treatment – Visiting a qualified chiropractor can also help in your healing recovery.
- Physical Therapy – Physical therapy can encourage healing and strengthening to an injured area targeting nerves and muscles.
- Massage Therapy – Often during a wreck, victims will suffer soft tissue damage by the force of the body during the accident. Massage therapy can help relieve muscle pain and improve blood circulation in the injured tissue.
These are just a few things to be aware of after you’ve experienced trauma from a wreck. The staff at North Atlanta Spine and Pain Care is trained to handle your case. Contact us today and get on the path to recovery after your car wreck.